In the manifesting world, there’s a lot of talk about decluttering. Making space for what you desire by clearing out old stuff that no longer serves you.
And so often I think we do that physically because it’s the easiest, most tangible way. It’s fun to go through your house and get rid of stuff that makes you feel cluttered.
It’s fun to shove it all out the door and walk into a home that feels abundantly filled with space.
But you know what’s not so fun?
Not so tangible and easy?
Decluttering the lies and half-truths you live with. Some of these are lies you tell to yourself (like you’re content when you’re not).
Some of these are half-truths you tell to your spouse (Oh hey honey I went shopping last week and bought a few things…ahem…totally went crazy at a sale and spent all our monthly savings).
Some are just evasions like when you conveniently forget to tell your parents you quit your job (because hey they didn’t ask!).
These are the real things that need decluttering.
Because you can spring clean all you want but until you spring clean your emotional landscape, that clutter in your home is just going to come back as a reminder of the clutter inside of you that’s still there.
Here are some journal prompts to help you start:
- Where are you holding guilt or anxiety over something you’ve done or haven’t done? What needs to happen for you to let go of the guilt/anxiety?
- Who do you believe you would you have to hurt in order to be truly happy and healthy in your life? Is that true?
- Is it possible to be completely happy in your life right now? Why or why not?
- What big dreams do you have that you’re ignoring or that you can’t seem to achieve?
- What would be the dark side of achieving those big dreams? Are there beliefs or fears that are holding you back?
- How could you reframe those beliefs or fears into positive affirmations? (For example, “I’m scared to take a big risk,” becomes, “Even though I have some fears around taking risks, I take action each day to move forward.”
Create as many affirmations as you can. Say them out loud. How do they make your body feel?
What have you learned about yourself with these questions? Are you seeing any patterns? Shedding light on those difficult questions and being aware of your own patterns is key in making conscious changes.
Interested in going deeper into this work? Stop the Burnout Cycle, is my digital course for women who want to uncover the stories holding them back and learn how to change them so that they feel more joy, meaning and balance in their lives. I recognize that their are societal structures keeping women stuck in burnout that we may have no control over, but there are also limiting beliefs that we have internalized that we do have control over. Stop the Burnout Cycle will help you to uncover the limiting beliefs holding you back, understand the cultural and family origins of those beliefs, and use meditation and healing techniques to help you change your beliefs so that you can thrive while prioritizing what matters most to you.