Creamed Onions or Vegetable Au Gratin (Gluten Free, Vegan)
This is one of my favorite Thanksgiving recipes. I always loved my grandma’s creamed onions and now I can make my own gluten free and vegan version. I made mine without breadcrumbs, but of course feel free to add those if you like! This is your recipe now. Have fun with it!
1 can full-fat coconut milk (13 ounces)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh (minced) or dried herbs to taste
Enough pearl onions to fill the dish OR sliced vegetables of choice (the photo above used 1 sliced onion, 1 sliced sweet potato, and sliced fennel)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8 x 8 inch casserole dish or au gratin dish of similar size.
- Open your can of coconut milk and place it into a larger bowl so you can stir it up. It tends to separate in the can, so you want to remix it. Stir in salt, pepper, and any herbs you want to use. I love adding herbs like basil, oregano, and thyme. Dill is also delicious with a potato and onion au gratin.
- Add your vegetables to the baking dish and pour the coconut milk over. It should just cover the vegetables. Cover with foil and bake until the vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork. Time will vary depending on the vegetables used, but assume it will take about 45 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are tender, take the tinfoil off and allow to bake about another 5 minutes, just until the dish begins to darken. Alternatively, you can put it under the broiler for a minute.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
p.s. Grab my free e-book: 11 Easy and Delicious Gluten and Dairy-Free Recipes.