Gluten Free, Vegan Skillet Biscuits
Originally intended to be pancakes, this recipe was a happy accident. Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, it’s a favorite that reminds me of Southern-Style Biscuits.
1 cup non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 1/3 cups white rice flour (not sweet white rice flour or brown rice flour)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons oil or melted coconut oil
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Stir together the milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside to curdle. Begin heating a skillet on medium to allow it to get nice and hot.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the oil, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla to the milk and stir.
- Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients, and stir together just until completely mixed.
- Add oil to your skillet, then scoop the batter into the skillet, about 1/3 cup per biscuit. Cook for 4 minutes, then flip. Immediately put the top on the skillet and cook for another 4 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 5-6 biscuits.
p.s. Grab my free e-book: 11 Easy and Delicious Gluten and Dairy-Free Recipes